Prophets - European Nexuiz & Xonotic Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.::: European Nexuiz & Xonotic Clan .:::. Best Frags & Finest Movements since Jan. 2009 :::.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesMemberlistRegisterLog in

v2.5 again

Go down 
+2
Art
zypresse
6 posters
AuthorMessage
zypresse
Forums Moderator
zypresse

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 7:03 am

Hi everyone !

I have heard now many times that the new version of nexuiz is not very popular among us minsta players. As far as i know the new feeling and smoothness brought by v2.5, is very much appreciated by the deathmatch players and people with weaker hardware or internet connection. But for some reason this is not very well received here...

So far i was not able to point out specifics, why the new version is less liked than 2.4.2. (except "the new nex model sucks" pirat )

So if you can name some points, we could give the devs some feedback. If you find 2.5 more favourable you can of course say so. After all maybe we just need to grow accustomed to it Very Happy .

Perhaps i start with 3 things:
- through the new look playermodels are more difficult to see (or at least less clear)
- since footsteps are now audible the gameplay will probably shift a bit more towards camping
- the new nex model sucks Wink
maybe all of these points are fixable through server/client settings... i don't know...

greetings
raab
Back to top Go down
Art
Inactiv Clan Member
Art

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: Re: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 am

Yeah, you right raab, but 2.4.2 geting older and usless. I don't like 2.5 at all but there also must be some advantages... I think we must keep trying 2.5 more and more, maybe its not so bad Wink

btw, I'm sure that next tournament will be played o 2.5 so we must be ready for it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lost
Side Admin
lost

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: Re: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 am

The bigest initial shock was the sounds, I sure didn't want to be heard playing it. Luckily it was simple to throw a sound pack together & the damage sfx are simply muted.

The player model brightness is certainly an issue. If there were a time counter I'm sure we'd be seeing slower games (I miss this). A side effect to this will surely be a wider adoption of options like showtris/surfaces & player skin mods, further separating newbies & veterans.

Something much harder to explain has changed too & it's the 'feel' when playing on a 2.5 server. Movement feels more responsive & natural on 2.4 servers. With 2.5 servers it seems to feel... idk... different somehow, perhaps a little more like Q3/Xreal? The difference isn't huge (tiny in-fact) but something has changed. On the subject of feel there's the anti-lag. 2.4.2 wasn't too good here so there's probably a noticeable improvement for many. Though after using Fish's TTS mod on our server, frags on 2.5 don't feel as positive or as tight, ie not as predictable.

Yeah, feel isn't an easy thing to explain. There's always the possibility that I'm getting out of practice too. Wink

The dev's have worked hard on 2.5 & have certainly improved the game in general. Please let 2.5.1 bring some minsta polish tho, even if it's simply a server cfg for more visible skins. The ability to simply scale the Nex would be nice too (I noticed an option claiming to do this but nothing appeared to change). Wink
Back to top Go down
https://prophets.aforumfree.com/
Growl
Side Admin
Growl

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: Re: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 1:25 am

2 main changes that I noticed while playing 2.5:

1. Physics

The movement is slower or let's say it feels clumsy? Specially when i jump with the hook and want to start bunnyhopping i notice a huge loss of speed. I am also suspicious about the air-control. I think it's less responisve than before.
Today at work i was thinking about and that it must be a big change to players that are used to jump a lot (Slatte, me, Tavi, Nils etc.)

2. Shots

I have the feeling that the shots are different to the 2.4.2 version. It feels faster to me, close to hit the target immediatly and requires less skill. Maybe i am wrong at this point.

All together i have the feeling that I die more often and that wins are less satisfying for me, cuz of easier targets
Back to top Go down

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: Re: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 am

I'm especially agree with Growl in his second point. It seems like it's more easy to hit players now, even If the crosshair is not "in the playermodel".

This, together with the darker playermodels, it's what makes (imho) the 2.5 version worse for Minsta.

Quote :
Something much harder to explain has changed too & it's the 'feel' when playing on a 2.5 server. Movement feels more responsive & natural on 2.4 servers. With 2.5 servers it seems to feel... idk... different somehow, perhaps a little more like Q3/Xreal? The difference isn't huge (tiny in-fact) but something has changed.
-Written by Lost-

Totally agree with that. You explained it perfectly Smile

My opinion: The big problem when we play in a 2.5 Minsta server is the new smooth movement. After some days playing on them, I'm getting used to it, and it's not bad at all. I think that, If Nex ugly model and dark playermodels are fixed, we could play 2.5 without problems. And those 2 "mistakes" are relatively easy to fix by the devs.

Greetings.
Back to top Go down
Raven
Clan Member
Raven

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: Re: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 1:13 am

Slatte wrote:
OK looks like I've the same opinion as "almost" everyone here!!

* The Nex gun is so ugly it takes up the hole screen and looks like a pipe or something.
* Everything seems so NOT NORMAL
* I'm not used to it so I cant aim Wink

maybe i need to try 2.5 a bit more before saying anything more Laughing

And about the servers, none is playing on the 2.5 server, and the 1v1 server is almost full all the time.
I remember those days when there where 2 great 1v1 server.

Thats my opinion!!

bounce bounce bounce

raven wrote:

Maybe it's my imagination, but the thing that irritates me most about 2.5 is the muzzleflash, I can't see fuck when I fire and if I miss I'm dead for sure.
2.5 is doable for me, but if possible I'd like to change the following things:

- 2.4.2 Nexgun model/skin
- 2.4.2 sounds
- No muzzleflash (or comparable to 2.4.2)

Is there anyone here that knows how to do this, either client-side or server-side? (I don't really care which of the two)

Another thing that irritates me is the score-board, the actual scores are all the way to the right, but where people will most likely look at when ingame and want a quick peak at their scores is in the middle of the screen where the first column is situated. That column tells the nr. of kills, which is clearly NOT the nr. of frags...
But i guess there's little I can do about that...

As for the playerskin brightness, there's a server-setting for that. Or isn't that working right? There's also a setting to turn off footsteps, but tbh, I like footsteps Smile
Back to top Go down
Art
Inactiv Clan Member
Art

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: Re: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 1:49 am

Quote :
There's also a setting to turn off footsteps, but tbh, I like footsteps

No No and No! footsteps - dream for campers!
Back to top Go down
Banshee
Side Admin
Banshee

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: Re: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:44 am

I also cant see shit (model brightness), and it runs too smooth for me. somehow 2.3 version is best for me, I mean it's gameplay.
footsteps rock btw Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

v2.5 again Empty
PostSubject: Re: v2.5 again   v2.5 again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

v2.5 again
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prophets - European Nexuiz & Xonotic Clan :: Prophets Nexuiz & Xonotic Stuff :: Prophets Game Servers-
Jump to: